Tuesday, December 13, 2011

Timing question

Our plane arrives at LGA at 8am on Saturday. We are at the Belvedere hotel (48th and 8th) and I want to book our circleline tour for 10:30. Do you think that is cutting it too close?



Also, if we were to walk to the pier would we walk down 8th and then all the way along 42nd st. or is there a better route.



Thanks



Timing question


Yes, you are cutting it too close. What if your plane is delayed? I would make it a little later.





If the planets are aligned you may make it, but why have the stress, it is your vacation, not a marathon.





Yes, you can walk down 42nd Street to the pier.



Timing question


If your plane lands on time, you should make the boat. But why rush yourself? You%26#39;re on VACATION. Relax. Do the boat ride later in the day or another day.





The walk to the pier from your hotel is not particularly attractive or interesting (imo). If you want to try to make that 10:30 cruise, I would take a taxi. Otherwise, there%26#39;s a bus on 49 st. (the #50) that ends at the Circle Line Pier. Why not take that?




I think that%26#39;s cutting it close, or at least you%26#39;d be rushed with very little, if any, margin for error.





Not even relating to congestion and traffic in NYC in general, it could take a few minutes to get your bags from the airport, or your plane may be delayed for a few minutes. (I dont think you mentioned, but I assume you are going by cab? if public transport, forget about it.) Despite being 8am, which I guess would minimize traffic ';a bit'; on the highways (as in the Queens parts), it still takes some time to go from the east side to the west side of Manhattan at any hour of the day (plus who knows what streets are closed for street fairs, parades, etc.)



The other thing is people tend to underestimate the length of the walk from 8th Ave to the water. It takes some time to do that walk, like at least 15 minutes, if you aren%26#39;t powerwalking or something.





So my honest opinion is you%26#39;d be cutting it pretty darn close. If you can do something later, that%26#39;d probably be safer. That way you can settle in a bit and stroll over. Instead of running for a departing ferry. :)





As for the route, I guess it%26#39;s as good as any. There should be no difference, since it%26#39;s more what%26#39;s on a particular block. Take a different route each time so you can check it out. I dont think there%26#39;s much on the path on 42nd st west of 8th ave in general. It%26#39;s where the Port Authority is, and there aren%26#39;t sights to see on that walk. Unless you%26#39;re into shady foot traffic around the PA.





Hope that helps a bit.




Thanks all,



I guess I knew it was cutting it close but the next one is at 12:30 and that just seems to take up too much of the day. I%26#39;ll think about it. I wanted to do the cruise first because I am bringing someone who has never been to NYC and I thought it would be a great way for him to get his bearings.



Maybe we will just have breakfast somewhere and stroll around and end up at the pier.




You haven%26#39;t asked, but I wouldn%26#39;t take a cruise first thing after being on a plane. Get your land legs. Have a nice breakfast. Maybe take a bus tour. Walk around. Maybe do the harbor lights cruise to see the city lit up.

No comments:

Post a Comment