Tuesday, March 30, 2010

Library and Grand Central Terminal

I%26#39;ve got both of these as optional sites to see if we%26#39;re in the area. Any comments on either - as a %26#39;definate do%26#39; or %26#39;skip this%26#39;? We%26#39;re in the city for three nights/four days. We are a family of four (girls 13,15) and this is our second trip.



Library and Grand Central Terminal


I think Grand Central Terminal is beautiful. It is an amazing building on the outside, and I think the architecture, windows and ceiling are beautiful and fascinating. They give tours about the building and the history, which I hope to have time to do one day. I love to walk through Grand Central and go up to one of the mezannine levels and watch the thousands of people come and go. I think the library is also interesting on the outside, have yet to have time to go inside. If your girls are into architecture or history at all, I think they would enjoy seeing both buildings.





Library and Grand Central Terminal


Grand Central Terminal is a ';must see';, it is gorgeous,and they have a very nice food court on the lower level for a fast, inexpensive lunch. Does not take very long to have a walk through.



Free tour on Wednesday at 12:30.





The library is worth a look, too, very close by, it is beautiful. (Closed Sunday/Monday, by the way).



Tours:



Building Tours



11:00 a.m. and 2:00 p.m on Tuesdays to Saturdays



Meet at the reception desk in Astor Hall (first floor).




They are only a short walk from one another. Take the hour and see both of them. Very beautiful architecture.




If you love beautiful Beaux Arts buildings, they are definitely worth it. If looking at fine architecture bores you, though, then you can skip it. Me, I am a big architecture fan, and very much enjoy both the Terminal the free tour of the Library.




The library is spectacular inside. And you can also see the Guttenberg Bible there. There%26#39;s also a lovely park behind the library with a stone building housing restrooms. I was expecting a not so nice public bathroom considering it was outside and right there on the sidewalk. Instead, I found myself in a lovely marble bathroom complete with vases of fresh flowers. I wanted to take a picture but was afraid people might think I was crazy for photographing a public restroom!




Look toward the bottom of the page in this link for the free GCT tour and also you may be interested in the other walking tours.





http://mas.org/Events/tours.cfm#july06




My husband and I just returned from a weekend in New York. We had dinner at Mezazur in GCT. The restaurant was dead at 7:30 on a Friday night, but the food was good and the view was incredible because the restaurant is located on the balcony. There is an oyster bar restaurant on the opposite balcony that seemed to be doing more business. The library was on my list of things to do, but never got to it. Go there for me.

No comments:

Post a Comment