Sunday, April 4, 2010

1st trip to NYC - Broadway shows?

I%26#39;m so excited, my husband and I are planning a trip to NYC. It is short notice, we go the middle of August. I know that I want to see some great Broadway shows. Of course, with not much advanced notice the most popular shows are sold out. I am not opposed to buying from a scalper in order to go see a MUST SEE show.





To give you an idea, I have seen: Cats, Les Miserables (twice), Phantom of the Opera (twice), Fiddler on the Roof, A Chorus LIne, The LIon King. I enjoyed all of them.





I am considering: Jersey Boys, Wicked, Dirty Rotten Scoundrels, The Drowsy Chaperone, Monty Python%26#39;s Spamalot, The Producers, Rent. I noticed Martin Short Fame Becomes Me will be open then and I always liked him.





I want to really take advantage of my trip, I don%26#39;t live in an area that gets the biggest productions on tour anymore (used to live in LA). I have three full days to visit and would like to see at least 2 shows but can double up one day and see 3 (we are staying through Monday and it doesn%26#39;t look like shows run that day). I hate to buy from a scalper but I don%26#39;t know if I will have this chance again so I would do it if it came down to that.





Any advice would be appreciated :).



1st trip to NYC - Broadway shows?


Rent has a Monday night performance.





You should be able to get discounts for:



The Wedding Singer



Rent



Drowsy Chaperone



The PRoducers



DRS



Spamalot





Check www.broadwaybox.com



www.theatermania.com



www.playbill.com



For info - all free to join.





Playbill has a list of all shows (click ';Broadway'; on the left side), it will give you prices, schedules, etc.





The Jersey Boys is so hot, that is the one that may cost you, but well worth it. Wicked will be full price, but you may be able to prepurchase those.





Buzz on the Martin Short show is not great, but if you like him, may be worthwhile for you.





Hope this helps.



1st trip to NYC - Broadway shows?


First go to playbill.com. Click on Broadway, after you see a show you like, click to buy tickets. Sometimes even the sold out shows, have ';premium'; seats available. They are expensive but are some of the best in the house.





Other resale ticket options include stubhub.com, and craigslist.org with reservations that you be very careful as craigslist can sometimes feature scam artists.





As for your selections, Jersey Boys, Wicked, Spamalot, and The Producers will be difficult. Not sure about Drowsy Chaperone... Producers, Rent, and DRS should be easier.





Unfortunately I just threw out a post card I got about Martin Short%26#39;s show, I think there was a discount... Check theatermania.com or broadwaybox.com, you may be able to get a discount on that one and some of the others mentioned above.





Let me add two off Broadway ideas as well... Altar Boyz is fun, and probably not something you will see in your neck of the woods. My daughter loved it.





Also, she recently went to Stomp and loved it too. I saw Stomp years ago and took my son who plays percussion. It appears to have aged quite well. Neither is the caliber of Broadway, but they are very entertaining options, and tickets will be easier to get. Click off Broadway on playbill.com.








I posted same time as NYCGirl...




I saw Spamalot in January and really recommend it-it was hilarious and if you like Monty Python its a must see




Also, ignore that Producers will be difficult...I don%26#39;t know how that got there...




Someone else who is coming in August mentioned in another thread that he tried to get Jersey Boys tickets and they were all sold for his dates. Check out their website: http://www.jerseyboysbroadway.com/ for more info and a link to buy tickets.




Thanks for the advice!





Ok, I think I%26#39;m going to try and go to Jersey Boys, Wicked, and Spamlot. Spamlot I can get tickets for a regular price. Wicked I can get tickets through stubhub at around $140-160 a ticket which isn%26#39;t too bad seeing regular prices at $111. Jersey Boys is the question. Stubhub has tickets starting at $250. They do have premium tickets for $300 matinee so that is a better choice than stubhub. However, they have single tickets available at a partial view for $111. We would have to get two separate tickets and both with partial view.





How bad are partial views. It states that you are at the back of the orchestra (rows W/Z) and you miss the top of some of the action, like 2nd story action.





That is a pretty significant price difference and I could probably go to all three shows for about the price of just Jersey Boys at the premium price. But, I did go to the Olympics and got a partial view seat (only available) and missed a section of the oval for short track speed skating. That was a bummer.





What do you think?




You state that you don%26#39;t get to see many shows where you live, this is your vacation, so I would go for it.





Partial view seats suck, in my opinion, I have had them, and it does take away from the enjoyment of the show. If it really becomes a matter of $ and seeing the show or not seeing it, then do it, but go into it knowing it won%26#39;t be perfect/





Three good choices, you will enjoy them all!




Spamalot has had discounts, see if they are still available.





Can you get Wicked at the $111.00 price? Did you check?





If you save on both of these, the $ for Jersey Boys won%26#39;t seem as bad.







Also, did you check ebay for Jersey Boys? Can%26#39;t hurt to check.





Good luck, let us know how you make out with this.




If you want to see Rent and have time to be flexible, try the lottery....two hours before every show they have a lottery for $20 tickets on the first two rows. The weekdays are much less crowded. If you win, it%26#39;s soooo worth it!

No comments:

Post a Comment