Sunday, April 4, 2010

Travelling with a baby....

What happens in hotel rooms?





Do they provide a cot or do you bring your own?





Also, is it impossible to get a pushchair on the subway? I seem to remember all of the subway stations having steps.....



Travelling with a baby....


Every hotel I%26#39;ve been in,there have been cots available, if you wanted them. There is a page on the MTA website about disability access



(http://mta.info/mta/ada/index.html), which mentions that some stations have lifts, and I%26#39;m sure I%26#39;ve seen escalators at some stations. Does this mean you%26#39;re planning a trip?????



Travelling with a baby....


Forgot to mention, I%26#39;ve seen loads of pushchairs on the subway, so it%26#39;s obviously doable, but they may have carried them down the stairs. With it being an older system it%26#39;s not as easy as the Metro.




I%26#39;m toying with the idea yes!





Andy isn%26#39;t keen though...... for some reason he thinks there isn%26#39;t much to do with kids in NY!?!?




I think I%26#39;m a bit out of the loop with what I%26#39;m going to say, but here goes...My own personal opinion is that I wouldn%26#39;t take a young child on a holiday to NYC. I know that lots of children are brought up in Manhattan and the other boroughs, but they aren%26#39;t always being pushed up 5th Ave in a crowd of tourists. I remember feeling sorry for quite a few of the children in buggies being faced with legs all the time! As I say, this is my own opinion, and quite a few posters recently have said that it wasn%26#39;t a problem having children with them in NYC. I%26#39;m pleased that my baby days are over though...if I had one I may feel so different due to my obsession!




I think it would be a case of just carting Isabelle around with us, she won%26#39;t get anything out of it, I know that. At the same time though, we could be carting her around anywhere and she wouldn%26#39;t know the difference!





I really want to take Callum though, I think he%26#39;d get a lot out of it. There%26#39;s loads of places I saw when we were there that made me think %26#39;Callum would love that%26#39; etc





Although I can see where Andy is coming from, that it would obviously be nicer if its just us......




I agree that Callum would probably have a ball. I can also see where Andy%26#39;s coming from in that if it were just the two of you, you could do whatever, whenever suited you.Tough decision, and I%26#39;m not sorry that I don%26#39;t have to make it ! I could come along as a babysitter for a couple of occasions ;)




Not much to do with kids in NY!



You%26#39;ve got to be kidding! When my little one was a baby, we used to tour around Central Park, look at the colors at the Met, go down the the lower East Side to see the peddlers, check out the Dinosaurs at the Natural History Museum, do the great and I mean great playgrounds. Go to the outer boroughs and let the grandmas cluck over your adorable baby. Forget the myth of the fourth wall in NY - everybody is in everybody%26#39;s business when it comes to kids! See the colors and lights at Sony on 50th. FAO Schwartz for crying out loud! NYC is a kids mecca and there are wonderful books at Barnes and Noble like (I think this is the title) NYC Baby. Definitely take your baby to NYC. It%26#39;s a very kid friendly place!!!! and say hi to Patience and Fortitude for me.




Hehe!





You%26#39;d be more than welcome!





I%26#39;m being talked out of this in all directions....





Might have a word with the grandparents, see how they feel about a week long babysitting spell.....




You can carry a pushchair down the steps of the subway and contrary to our reputation, there is usually someone to help if needed.





I would recommend however, a lightweight folding pushchair which can be folded and carried down the steps along with the baby. If I plan to travel by subway a lot with my baby in a day, I also bring a baby bjorn carrier and put her in that when I go down the subway, so I have my hands free fro the folded stroller.




I agree ! There is so much to do with kids in NY that you could spend a whole summer there and not see everything !! IMy son was 12 when he first went and he was overwhelmed - he is 18 now and all he can think of is going back. I have also taken kids with friends - ages 3,5 and 7 and they have had the time of their lives. Most of the guide books have great suggestions on all the stuff to do ( with special ';things to do with kids '; sections.) You go for it Ange !!

No comments:

Post a Comment