Thursday, April 8, 2010

Building Question.

Hey, gang. Can anyone tell me the name of the building that is just off from Empire State Building? It sticks out among the skyscrapers. It%26#39;s currently red, white and blue like the ESB.



Thanks a bunch. Sorry I am not more descriptive. I think it has a gold tip.





Building Question.


I think you are referring to the New York Life Insurance Building.



Building Question.


Thanks for your response but I looked up the building and that is not it. The gold tip is smaller than the one on the insurance building. Any other ideas?




I was just checking some pictures, and the two I can find with gold tops are the Metroploitan Insurance Building which has a larger gold spire and a clock, and the New York Life Insurance Buiding which has the smaller top. Any good?




Metropolitan -----wish you could edit these posts as it would be so much easier for my clumsy keyboard use!




Hey, great! That%26#39;s exactly it. Thanks. :)




Useless trivia for the day: The old Metropolitan Life Insurance tower at #1 Madison Avenue was the tallest building in the world when it opened, and it was modeled after the bell tower of St. Mark%26#39;s Cathedral in Venice. Its architect was Napoleon LaBrun, who also did the Cathedral of SS Peter and Paul in Philly, and lots of firehouses all over Manhattan -- including the fantasmagorical one at White Street. Originally, the building was much richer in detail, but in a ';modernization'; in the late 1950%26#39;s, it was all scraped off, which is a pity...

No comments:

Post a Comment